I am a woman who is playing life like a game of chess. Checkmate will end it all, lets see who says it first.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

14th August Resolutions

I remember the time when my siblings and I celebrated Independence Day like Eid. New clothes, something special for lunch and dinner, flags everywhere and the sheer joy and pride we felt looking at the uniformed men and women of our armed forces. Over the past few years this day has become just another holiday. The uniformed men and women still bring a much needed sense of pride but it is short lived. I love my country. It is the only place which I can ever call home. I have never wanted to leave Pakistan. I don't appreciate people abandoning it and then trying their level best to sever all ties with it. This country is what we made it. We the people are responsible for the state it is in today. The progress, the failure, the corruption, the crumbling political structure, and everything good and bad. We are responsible. I as an individual and as part of society have responsibilities which I need to own up to and accept.

I have made a few resolutions on Pakistan's 59th Independence Day, they may not seem much but it’s a start. I hope and will strive to fulfill them.

  1. Always look for solutions rather than dwell on the problems my country has.
  2. I don’t litter but I will now ask people not to litter.
  3. Volunteer time and resources to do something constructive.
  4. Teach my child to respect and appreciate his country and the freedom he enjoys.
  5. Follow rules and regulations rather than find shortcuts. We always crib and cry about the corruption but we forget how much we are to blame for it. I may not succeed 100% but I will sure as hell try my best.
  6. Help atleast one poor household meet their monthly expenses.

I hope I can stick to these and keep adding to the list.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hina said...

My husband and I were having the same conversation last night, about how we are no longer as enthusiastic about independence day. Our answer... because we grew older and let it fade out of us.

We try to do whatever we can to be responsible citizens, and hope that one day, our daughter will grow up to appreciate the country we call home.

Your resolutions look good. I'm sure that with more people like you, Pakistan will rise into a better well informed nation.

3:50 AM

 
Blogger inspirex said...

good ones friend....

lets all stick to them....

InshaAllah :)

4:04 AM

 
Blogger mAn[S]o0r said...

cool! you got resolutions too :D

nice ones! i posted mine on karachi metblogs :D

and checkmate... GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK!!!!!!! missed u :p

5:45 AM

 
Blogger Jaded said...

i can so understand what you mean... it was so easier to celebrate when we had our green shades on...

it took courage to take those resolutions and put them into print and i appreciate the feelings behind them... let's hope and pray that these resolutions and so many like them help to make our country bit by bit into what we dreamed of when we were young

12:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's well n gud....but can someone pls do something about the senseless celebratory tactics our youths go about on their noisy bikes and abused cars?

2:10 AM

 
Blogger Checkmate said...

psyched, it is very hard to do anything about the senseless celebrations. All we can do is work on the next generation and talk to the youth around us.

Change will come.

5:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home